It’s happened to the best of us: you’re out and about way past your bedtime and all of the sudden, you need ALL OF THE FOOD and YOU NEED IT FAST. We’ve put together all your late night munchies so the last thing you have to do is think. HERE WE GO:
1. O.W.L. is open 24-hours a day and this isn’t just any ole’ diner. Located on Woodward Avenue in Royal Oak, this is THE SPOT if you’re stuck north of the city and are in need of some majorly yummy fuel. This Mexican-food gem has a delicious menu (get the nachos). Sober AND drunk munchies approved.
2. Grey Ghost in Brush Park, offers a late night menu with a few mouth-watering items. The hours vary, with their Sunday-Thursday menu running from 10pm-midnight and their Friday and Saturday slot running from 11pm to a loose 2am, depending on the crowd. Their fries are heavenly and they make an incredible cheeseburger which tastes like a gourmet Big Mac. Best part is that you can have a killer cocktail to wash it all down.
3. Honest John’s (A.K.A. HJ’S) in Midtown is the dependable late night dive that is open almost any time of day and any of the year, running their late night menu until 2am. Here you can find their full menu ‘til close, with a few breakfast items as well. We recommend The Hani John or the burger. Don’t forget to write your name on the bathroom stall!
4. American Coney Island is the iconic late night spot of the city. Open 24-hours in the downtown financial district on the corner of Lafayette and Griswold, you stumble in without shame and order copious amounts of coney goodness. The staff even wears little white hats, so that’s pretty entertaining, as if the crowd already isn’t by itself.
5. Dooley’s (open 24-hours) is located in Southwest Detroit on Vernor Road and is one of the oldest diners in the city. Don’t let the little place fool you, their potatoes are the best around and they know how to make some damn good fried eggs and french toast to go along with it. A classic, and a smart choice, if you’re around those parts.
6. Sgt. Pepperoni’s is a Midtown pizza stand nestled in Garden Bowl serving some of the hottest, greasiest slices in the city. Stop in for a post (bowling) game slice or swing by after a show at The Magic Stick. We have to be honest when we say we have no idea how this za stacks up sober but we know after a night out it’s just what we need.
7. Alley Taco, oh how we love you Alley Taco and the fact that you recently extended your hours Thursday-Saturday until 3 am. You’re just what we crave at 2am stumbling out of Third Street. Their tacos are great and the value is even better. Three tacos, chips & guac for roughly $10.
8. POP + OFFWORLD, is a newly opened second floor pizza and arcade bar above Checker Bar. From the same family as Grand Trunk Pub and Whisky Parlor they bring a super authentic Detroit experience, through great pizza, beer & games. Open ‘til 2am every night.
Candice Simons, j’adore Detroit